- 2 cups of unbleached flour or 1 cup of unbleached flour and 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 3 tsp. of baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
Mix all the ingredients together. Place dough on the cabinet top or a pasty board and pat out to about ½ thick (no need to flour the board). Cut with biscuit cutter. Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 425 degrees until lightly brown. Should make about six biscuits, depending on the size of the cutter.
Mr. P’s Blueberry French Toast for Four
- 1 loaf of Italian or bakery-type bread cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 package of cream cheese cut into 1/2- or 3/4-inch squares
- 3/4 to 1 cup of blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Approximately eight small to medium eggs
- Pinch of cinnamon and/or nutmeg
- 1/3 cup of maple syrup
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups of milk or half ‘n half
Arrange the cubed bread in a buttered 8 x 8 baking dish. Scatter cream cheese and blueberries over the top. Top with remaining bread. In a bowl, whisk eggs until blended, add syrup, milk, and spices and pour over the bread and blueberry layers, being careful to soak each square of bread.
Sprinkle a little cinnamon on top. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake covered with foil at 350-degrees for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake
another 30 minutes until puffy and golden. Serve with additional maple or blueberry syrup and sausage or bacon on the side. Delicious!
Eggs Smithfield for Two
- 3-4 small to medium eggs, beaten with a whisk
- 1/4-1/3 cup of milk or half ‘n half added to beaten eggs
- Pinch of dried mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh finely-chopped or dried herbs (any combination such as basil, rosemary, sage, thyme, or parsley)
- Cooked sausage or bacon bits (or croutons for vegetarians)
- Grated cheeses (sharp cheddar or a 4-cheese blend)
- Grease two ramekin dishes very well. Put meat or croutons on the bottom.
Layer herbs and cheese on top. Place ramekins in a larger pan of water (enough to cover 1/3 to 1/2 of the ramekins). Bake in oven at 350-degrees for 30 minutes. Serve immediately. The mixture should come out of the dishes cleanly if you run a knife around the edge to loosen them. Enjoy!